The School of Business and Economics is one of the Forth faculty in Carissa University. It was established as Faculty of Business Management in 2014 offering Bachelor of Business Management. Over the years other programmes have been introduced including Master of Business Administration, Bachelor of Business Management, Bachelor of Science in Human Resource, Bachelor of Arts Economics, Diploma Business Management and Certificate in Businsess Management. The School is made up of Dean’s office, Post graduate Coordination office and two other department mainly department of Business Management and department of Human Resource and Economics.
The school is driven by the desire to offer courses that are tailor made to fit students’ career choices as well as contemporary job market. The School takes into account by offering relevant courses that enable the students compete in the dynamic of global job market.
To be a world class University of Technological Processes and Development.
To nurture talents through research, innovation, Consultancy, Community outreach, entrepreneurship, imparting knowledge and skills to meet the needs of the society.
- Innovation: Embrace Creativity and originality in all areas of operation.
- Excellence: Commit to excellence and quality of service.
- Integrity: Commit to transparency, accountability, honesty and justice
- Professionalism: Demonstrate reliability, fair play and meritocracy
- Team Spirit: Maintain synergy through cooperative effort.
- Patriotism: Demonstrate loyalty that inspires public service delivery.
List of Department in the school
1 Department of Business Management (BM )
2 Department of Art Economics and Human Resource (BA & HRM)
Bachelor of Business Management (BBM)
- An applicant should have at least a mean grade of C+ (plus) and a C (plain) in both Mathematics and English Language in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) or
- At least two principal passes and one subsidiary pass in Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) plus at least a pass in math and English at “O” level OR,
- Be a holder of a Diploma in Business studies validated by Commission for University Education (CUE) with at least a credit OR,
- Be a holder of a professional certificate in business studies recognized by CUE
Mode of study: Full time and part-time Duration : 8 semesters
DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
Minimum mean grade of C- , with C- in English/Kiswahili, D+ in mathematics, or accounting, Economics, Business Studies, commerce or any other qualifications recognized by Garissa University senate.
Mode of Study: Full time Duration : 2 years
CERTIFICATE OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
Minimum mean grade of D+ or KCE Division III or any other qualifications recognized by Garissa University senate
Mode of Study: Full time Course Duration : six (6) months
DEPARTMENT OF ARTS ECONOMICS AND HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT (BA &HRM)
The Bachelor of Business Arts in Economics (B.A. Econ.)
The applicant should be able to fulfill J.A.B. admission requirements as follows:
- Eng. or Kisw. Any group III; Mat. And any group II or Eco. Or Com. or Acc. at Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE); or CPA/CPS or their equivalent
- For Education (Arts) students who intend to take Economics as a teaching subject must have attained at least B plain in Mathematics and B plain in any of the following subjects: Economics, Accounts or Commerce in KCSE.
Mode of study: Full time Duration: 4 years
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT (HRM)
- Have at least C+ in English at KCSE in one Sitting.
- Candidates with Diploma qualifications in Human Resources, public relations an Business management and any other relevant areas as approved by university senate will also be considered
- Admission may also be granted to candidates with alternative qualifications as recognized by university senate
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME
The rules and regulations of the universities joint Admission Board for bachelor degree programme shall apply for full time students. In addition candidates will be required to undertake a filed attachment of at least two months and write a supervised research project.
The duration of the programme extends for four years of study. Those who enter the programme as mature entry student may join the programme n the second year of study. However, holders of higher National Diploma in HRM may join the programme in the third year of study, as long as they have attained a credit of distinction pass.
Mode of study: Full time